Monday, December 13, 2010

Cornbread-Topped Meat Pie

This is a recipe I found out of a cookbook that was originally meant for sausage, but since my husband and I greatly dislike pork, I used ground beef instead.

Meat Pie
1lb ground beef/turkey
1 med. onion, chopped
1 sm. bell pepper, chopped
1/2 tsp garlic powder
15oz can tomato sauce
9oz frozen whole kernel corn, thawed

Corn bread topping
2/3c cornmeal
1/3c flour
1/2c milk
1T sugar
2T oil
2tsp baking powder
1/4tsp salt
1 egg
1/4c shredded monterey jack cheese w/jalapeno peppers

Heat oven to 400 degrees. In skillet, cook meat, onion, bell pepper and garlic over medium heat 8-10 minutes until it's no longer pink; drain. Sitr in tomato sauce and corn. Heat to boiling; remove from heat. In medium bowl, stir all topping ingredients except cheese. Beat vigorously with spoon 30 seconds. Stir in cheese. Spoon meat mixture into ungreased 2qt casserole. Pour topping on top, spreading evenly. Bake uncovered 20-25 minutes or until topping is golden brown.

I think it turned out pretty well!


I also learned how to properly chop onions!
       



To think I've been doing it wrong this whole time...

No comments:

Post a Comment